A prime spot in the living room are sofas and often the central locations for lounging with a book, TV, or other electronic device, or even simply used for visiting in comfort. It develops odors simply from the natural sweat and oils people produce if nothing else, over time. With all the time spent on the sofa, food, beverage, chemical, and substance spills are likely and other odor causing contaminates that will buildup, including pets. Combating the odors in between professional deep cleanings can help significantly control the odors from developing or neutralizing them when they do even with routine care. To neutralize the odors that develop on sofas, we at Carpet Dry-Tech would like to share some tips.
Why Does Standard Sofa Cleaning Include?
The sofa should undergo a basic cleaning before you tackle the odors. Below you will find basic cleaning steps.
Gather these Items:
– Vacuum cleaner w/ hose and all the attachments
– Baking Soda
1) To remove all of the dust, hair, and other debris from the surface, use the vacuum’s hose and appropriate attachments, particularly the upholstery brush, and thoroughly vacuum the surface. Pull out the sofa so you can get the back sides, back rest, arm rests, from, and front and back of the cushions as well as their sides if necessary.
2) You can generously sprinkle the baking soda over the sofa’s surface after all of the surface debris is removed. Make certain the cushions are set off to the side and treated separately. For about 15 minutes, allow the baking soda to soak in the fabric.
3) To remove the baking soda and the odors with it, vacuum the sofa again. Be sure to empty it, the prior dirt and debris in addition to the baking soda will likely fill the canister or vacuum bad to capacity.
4) Lightly mist the sofa with white vinegar if the smells persist. It does destroy the bacteria that can be contributing to the odors, though the vinegar will improve the initial smell. Only apply a light mist so it can dry quickly, and do not oversaturate as too wet can cause water damage and create mildew and mold.
Preventative Upholstery Maintenance Tips
Make certain to immediately cleanup spills to help avoid pungent sofas. Even water can create a musty odor and any food or beverages left behind creates rotten odors. Use a spoon or spatula to remove the chunks first, following with a clean cloth to absorb any liquid. For specific washing directions and cleaners safe to use, following the upholstery tag’s directions. When cleaning the sofa to ensure it will not be compromised in anyway, make certain to always perform a patch test on any chemicals or homemade used.
Professional Deep Couch Cleaning Services
Invest in a professional deep upholstery cleaning service every 6-12 months to better combat the odors from occurring as well. Not only does professional upholstery cleaning control odors, but it can remove soil, allergens, contaminates as well eliminate spots, and stains.